Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2015.02-2
Object Name File, Document
Scope & Content I box (.4 linear feet)
This collection consists of the official records of the North Bridgton Community Club, as well as correspondence and other documents relating to the club. The club was founded in 1946 "to form a recognized center for social culture; to encourage public spirit in the Community; to raise money for a Community House." The membership felt that that community needed another meeting space besides the North Bridgton Congregational Church, and in 1953 purchased the "Griffin property" at the intersection of Sweden Road and Route 37 (see 1930s Tax Record #2045).. The existing structure was demolished and a new building was constructed between 1957 and 1963. Iva Holden, who had been a key force behind the founding of the club, died in 1964. Interest in the club waned in the 1960s and 1970s, and the clubhouse building was demolished in 1989.

Folder 1History and Constitution
2Legal Documents, 1950, 1956
3Correspondence and papers related to the Community Hall Building, ca. 1953-1989
4Incoming Correspondence re: club activities, 1948-1978, including a signed letter from Gov. Horace Hildreth, letters of resignation from Presidents Miney Chace (1953) and Jean Holden (1956), and other matters such as donations and winners of drawings.
5Thank you notes and greeting cards received, 1954-1984
6Donations to other organizations, including Augusta State Hospital, North Bridgton Fire Association, Pineland Hospital and Training Center, American Red Cross, and Bridgton Academy, 1954-1978 and no date
7Opening Prayer, written by Julia M. Chadbourne
8Committees and Meeting Schedules, 1946-1977 (gaps)
9Reports, Jan 1956 - May 1954
10Reports, Sep 1954 - Sep 1963
11Reports, Oct 1963 - Dec 1974
12Newspaper Clippings, 1977 and no date

Record Books
Membership List, 1946-1979
Financial Accounts, 1946-1949
Financial Accounts, 1949-1964
Summer Sales Summary, 1946-1978
Financial Accounts, 1964-1980
Treasurer's Reports, 1977-1981
Building Reports, 1957-1973

Oversized
Building Plans, 2 sheets in original donation: Front Elevation; Side Elevation and Construction Detail, Lawrence J. Guddire. Three added in later donation from Town of Bridgton: Second copies of above, plus Floor Plan.

Title North Bridgton Community Club Papers
Collection Spratt-Mead Museum, North Bridgton Historical Society
Other number ms248.2